Monday, February 17, 2014

DIY First Anniversary Gift

As two people who both really enjoy making things (my husband is the woodworker [check out his awesome fine hardwood cutting boards here] while I'm the crafter/painter/repurposer) my husband and I both agreed that for our anniversary gift we would keep the gifts more personal by making them.  Having just moved and being somewhat on bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy, I was a little more limited on what all supplies I could gain access to, and so to Pinterest I went to look for some ideas!
I posted in a craft group that I follow asking for suggestions, but unfortunately didn't get much more help then a friendly reminder that the gift of the First Anniversary is supposed to be paper.  Knowing I have a Cricut, tons of scrapbook paper and accessories, I figured going with this 'paper gift' tradition would work just right! 
Wanting to make the paper gift personal to us and our wedding day, I decided I wanted to find something that would include our wedding vows and/or first dance song.  With this I went to pinterest and google to look at some ideas, before deciding to make this Framed First Dance Lyrics Cutout.
If you'd like to make this Framed First Dance Lyrcis Cutout, doing so couldn't be easier (and more inexpensive) by following these instructions:
 
DIY Framed First Dance Lyrics Cutout
 
You will need:
Picture Frame (size of your choosing - I used a 5x7")
Scrapbook paper - 5 colors, ideally ones that match your house decor
Color 1 - Background
Color 2 - Tree
Color 3 - Heart
Color 4 - Bird #1
Color 5 - Bird #2
Cricut & Craftroom - OR - Scissors to cut on your own
Writing Utensil (Marker/Pen/Pencil)
Gluestick/Glue Dots
 
Steps:
1. Using the Cricut basics cartridge available for free to everyone in the cricut craft room OR a pair of scissors - cut out a two rectangles to fit the background of your picture frame using Color 1 and Color 2.
2. Using your writing utensil (I used a fine tip black sharpie) write the song lyrics to fill the rectangle you cut out on Color 2
TIP: If the lyrics do not take up the entire rectangle you may want to write them multiple times.  Not all the lyrics will show since the the tree pattern will be cut out of this, so the duplication will not be noticeable.
3. On the Color 2 rectangle that is now filled with lyrics, cut out the tree shape you would like keeping in mind that the larger/fuller the tree, the more lyrics you'll have showing.
You may have a design on your cricut you'd like to use, I drew the tree on the back of the rectangle and cut out by hand.
4.   On Color 3 using the cricut basics cartridge cut out a heart sized correctly to the trunk of your tree.  Write on this your anniversary date.
5. On Color 4 and Color 5 cut out equal sized 'love birds' (can be done using the 'A Childs Year Cartridge' or by drawing and cutting by hand) sized to fit on the tree branches.
6. Assemble: Glue the tree onto the background, heart onto the tree trunk, and birds onto the branches.  Place into picture frame.
 
I had the scrap paper, picture frame and marker on hand, so I was able to do this entire project for free.  If you need to purchase the frame I suggest checking out your local dollar store as they often have a wide variety of decent frames all for $1.  The paper you can get for around $0.50 each at your local craft store - possibly even cheaper elsewhere.  Basically this project can be done for less than $5!
As always have fun with it and make it your own! The biggest benefit behind a handmade project is just how personal you can make it! And please post pictures of your finished First Dance Lyrics Cutouts you make! I'd love to see them!
 
 
Part Two of my husbands Anniversary gift is something that kept with the paper theme but took a bit more work and time - stay tuned for more on my "Life is An Adventure" project!
 
Xo Kendall Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment