Thursday, February 13, 2014

Happy Valentines Day!

Happy Valentines Day! (a few hours early!)

Having just moved into a new house (the boxes everywhere are enough to drive me crazy but I'm very excited about my 'craft closet' that will soon be set up!) having spent the past 48hours "iced-in" (this Florida girl has definitely learned since moving to South Carolina that ice-days aren't as fun as they sound, they're MESSY, and they come with some miserably cold weather !)  and being less than a month away from meeting our new little bundle of joy (did I mention we JUST moved and our whole house including the nursery are still in boxes?? AHH!!) my husband and I who usually celebrate holidays a bit on the extreme side decided to enjoy a more low key V-Day this year. As much as I love Holidays - I'm one of those people who truly LOVES buying gifts and planning unique ways to make the Holidays fun - I haven't been feeling the greatest this trimester and so a more low key Valentines Day sounded just perfect to me.
That being said however, I still couldn't just buy a box of chocolates and card and be on my way...that would just be insulting to my new Cricut machine ;) So in addition to buying a box of chocolates, I headed to my favorite place - the Cricut Craft Room! After years of wanting a Cricut, now that my wonderful husband has spoiled me with one I've decided that the time I used to spend reading thru dozens of greeting cards in the store, rarely being truly satisfied with whichever I'd settle for, will now be spent in the craft room making a truly personal and equally, if not more-beautiful greeting card! Cricut has SO many V-Day card options it can be a bit overwhelming, so rather then browsing thru all the available options, I decided to look for a card that fit a specific theme (I call my husband my 'honey bee' so I wanted a bee-themed card) and in a few short minutes had found, purchased, and cut the 'Bee-mine' card layout! Filled with a personal note, stuffed in an envelope and just like that I had my card!
In addition to the Bee-Mine greeting card and valentines day staple heart shaped box of chocolates, I wanted one more thing to complete my husbands gift, keeping with the theme behind the holiday and not so much the commercialization of it, so off to Pinterest for some inspiration I went! Having in the past made my husband the '52 Reasons I love you' (if you haven't seen this/made for your significant other, it's a really cute gift and very simple to make...take a 52card deck, and on each card write a reason you love your significant other.  I even included some pictures on some of them.  Bind them together with a metal ring and you have a great personalized gift to make your boyfriend/husband smile) I was on the hunt for something similar but obviously not the same, which lead me to my inspiration for "the ABCs of you & me"

Making it couldn't have been easier.  Thanks to my Cricut and Extreme Fonts cartridge the entire booklet was complete in less then an hour.  

To Create "The ABCs of You & Me"
1.  Obtain a mini note booklet or bind together notecards - if you want to do front & back you will need 13 pages, if you'd like to only do the front you will need 26 pages PLUS a cover 
2. Cut letters sized to fit on your pages yet still allow room to write.  I cut my letters using Extreme Fonts on my Cricut, Font: Junior, Size: 2" 
3.  Glue letters on each page, and fill in a memory/reason you love your significant other/etc. that starts with that letter on that page
4. Decorate the front as you please - I covered the front of mine with a solid cardstock, accented with some string and a heart and titled it "the ABCs of you & me" with the date of this Valentines day. 
*This project can easily be done without a Cricut as well and can be modified to be as simple/complex as you would like.  If you'd like to keep it ultra simple but still just as nice looking, draw the letters on each page rather then cutting/gluing - the options are really endless - have fun with it and feel free to share your finished projects in the comments! 
First 3 projects shared in the comments by March 1, 2014 will receive a $5 gift card to my shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment